Aw yeah. Look at this beautiful award.
I was tagged by the always-wonderful Jenna at Bookmark Your Thoughts.
She updated her graphics recently – go admire the new layout!
I copy-and-pasted the award basics from Jenna’s site:
“‘Liebster’ is a German word meaning beloved, dearest, sweetheart, or darling.
For bloggers, the Liebster Award is an online recognition given by other bloggers to new bloggers for enjoying or appreciating their work. It highlights up and coming blogs.
- Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you.
- Nominate 11 blogs.
- Notify those blogs of the nomination.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.”
1. What is the longest slump you’ve ever been in?
I’d say…a good 2 or 3 months pre-depression diagnosis.
I watched a lot of TV instead. It was easier to feel nothing when I didn’t have to think.
2. Do you prefer ARCS or finished copies of books?
ARCs come in paperback, my favorite format.
To read in this format, though, I have to put up with grammatical errors or plot holes.
I read Marieke Nijkamps Before I Let Go pre-release. Entire sections read like something I’d tag in a draft with, “FIX LATER.”
I’ll take the polished final product, please.
3. What is your favorite review you’ve written (not based on views/likes but your feelings)?
Both reviews perfectly encapsulated my frustrations with both stories.
They’re also the only two reviews of mine that people link on other blogs.
That must mean something.
4. What was the last song you fell in love with?
The Black Panther soundtrack motivates me.
“Killmonger” is one of the best character themes I’ve heard in recent years. The track communicates so much about Eric’s background and personality.
My other favorite track is “Waterfall Fight,” where the Wakandans surround the waterfall chanting, “T’CHALLAH!”
It’s a joyous sound.
5. What type of YouTube videos do you most commonly watch?
I watch a lot of BookTube, movie reviews, and film theory. Pop Culture Detective, one of my favorite channels, deconstructs masculinity in popular media.
6. Do you have a favorite holiday? If so, why did you pick it?
I was born the day after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday, so I sometimes get my birthday weekend off from work.
My birthday falls three weeks after Christmas, so I get an extended holiday and, if I’m very lucky, SNOW.
It’s a nice time to hang out with my family, see friends, eat cake, and read new books.
7. Be honest: have you ever bought a book mostly just for its cover?
You’ve seen Of Fire and Stars.
That purchase was a MISTAKE.
8. Do you like to keep your books pristine, or “lived in” them with highlighters, tabs, annotations, etc.
I aim to keep my books pristine.
Unfortunately for my books, I take a lot of baths, eat/drink while reading, and travel with books in my purse.
The poor things get knocked around.
9. What is the most money you’ve ever spent on one book, and would you do it again?
I bought Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition Vol. 1 from an indie bookseller for $28.
Reading that book on the 1st of the year was more than worth the price.
Though I’d like to save a couple bucks on the remaining volumes, I’ll likely return to Elliott Bay and drop another $28 to continue the series.
10. Do you use any method to keep track of your TBR, like a TBR jar, spreadsheet, notebook, etc.?
This is embarrassing: I used to buy a ton of books that I wouldn’t read. I counted those books as my living TBR.
I got a little bit smarter about money and started using my Amazon wishlist as a TBR of sorts. The books on that list are my top priorities – obviously there are more things I would like to read.
This year, I decided to keep track of finished books with a Google spreadsheet. It has so far made blogging a lot easier.
11. Roughly estimate this one: How many more books can you fit in your current shelves before needing a new book case?
If I really cram them in there, I’d say a couple dozen.
I just purged my bookshelves, too. Unfortunately, that only served to get books off my floor…AND NOT EVEN ALL OF THEM.
All right. I did it. Now it’s your turn.
Eleven questions for you:
- Supernatural literature is back! Pick your favorite of the following: vampires, werewolves, zombies, witches, ghosts, or demons.
- What are your feelings on literary fiction and/or bestsellers?
- What is your favorite hyped book?
- What is your LEAST favorite hyped book?
- J. K. Rowling: yay or nay?
- Which movies and/or shows inspire your reading habits? (For example: I read magical girl manga because of Sailor Moon.)
- How gory do you like your books to be? (On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being bloodless carnage, 10 being brains galore.)
- Do you have a special beverage you drink while reading?
- Are you vegan or vegetarian? List a favorite recipe regardless of your answer.
- Do you listen to music while reading/blogging? If so, what kind?
- Make your case for paperbacks, hardbacks, or e-books. The whole world is watching.
Perpetually Past Due | Cotton Candy Book Witch | Bookworms United (yes, all three of you) | Never Not Reading | Fortunately, the book | Witty and Sarcastic Bookclub | La Femme Livresque | Lori’s Bookshelf Reads | Ink Trails | Lauregalie | Dee Reads Things
I really enjoy all of your blogs! Can’t wait to see your answers!
(Or, if you’d prefer, answer questions 1 and 9 in the comments below.)