I was nominated for this round by Sofii at A Book. A Thought.
If you’ve never read Sofii’s blog, do it NOW. She writes the loveliest, emoji-filled reviews. Her takes are very honest and accurately represent a book’s content, tone, and issues.
This round, the rules are a bit different than I remembered.
I’ll be answering questions AND sharing random facts.
- Acknowledge the blog that gave it to you and display the award
- Answer 11 questions that the blogger gives you
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 blogs and notify them of their nomination
- Give these blogs 11 questions to answer
✨ If you had to describe yourself in three characters, which ones would they be? ✨
Jane Eyre for one, because she’s feisty, skeptical, and done with everyone.
Adam Parrish, because he’s a resentful perfectionist.
Ruby Oliver, because she struggles with people-pleasing, passivity, and panic attacks.
🙅🏻♀️ What was the last book you DNF’ed? 🙅🏻♀️
I went into Attachments knowing I didn’t like Rainbow Rowell’s writing style.
I made it about…halfway through?
I hated a lot of the humor and the bummer coming-of-age narrative.
WHY are Rowell’s books billed as fun rom-coms? They’re NEVER FUN.
📚 How many books are on your TBR? 📚
Well, between unread books I own, books I have on my Amazon wishlist, books I want to reread, and books that I haven’t made my mind up about, I’d say…200?
🧙🏻♀️ Which character would you swap lives with? 🧙🏻♀️
I want VERY BADLY to switch places with Adriane Charday from Avalon: Web of Magic.
Adriane lives on a WILDLIFE PRESERVE, plays guitar, wears cool goth outfits and a tiger’s eye bracelet, pals around with a mistwolf, and has a magical girl posse.
I think she even raises a dragon at one point?
This is my dream life. I might hate Adriane, but I’d trade places with her in a second.
🦹🏻♂️ Who is your favourite villain and why? 🦹🏻♂️
I’m not much for The Hunger Games series, but I liked President Snow.
I think Suzanne Collins intended him to be scary, but that didn’t exactly pan out.
I often think of the scene in Catching Fire where he tells Katniss, “BY THE WAY, I KNOW ABOUT THE KISS.”
You couldn’t think of a more threatening way to phrase that?
What president is this petty?
Dude dies laughing.
I can’t blame him for trying to entertain himself.
💝 What’s your go-to book recommendation? 💝
I want all of my friends to read and love The Raven Boys so we can gush about Ronan Lynch together.
I do a really good job of talking up the supernatural aspects of the series.
Welsh mythology! Tarot! Birds! Dream creatures! Queer romance!
About half the people I recommend this series to don’t make it past the first book.
🛑 What inanimate object do you wish you could eliminate from existence? 🛑
Telephone poles and lamp posts.
THE SIDEWALKS HERE ARE ALREADY TOO NARROW.
WHY TAKE UP PRECIOUS SPACE??
🍿 What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of? 🍿
I think The Last Jedi is perfect.
It MOVES me.
I thought this film was such a beautiful gift to the next generation of Star Wars fans.
WE ARE WHAT THEY GROW BEYOND.
😭 What was the last book you read that made you cry? 😭
They Both Die at the End destroyed me.
I had a book hangover for four days.
I still can’t talk about it.
🤬 Which fictional character do you think would be the most frustrating to meet in real life? 🤬
My LEAST favorite people won’t listen to outside perspectives and have to be right all the time.
WHO DOES THAT SOUND LIKE?
📢 What social stigma do you think society needs to get over? 📢
Let me heave the heaviest of heavy sighs.
I might have too much of a soft-spot for counterculture.
That said, I am very tired of the belief that questions = rebellion and different perspectives = heresy.
Alternative beliefs aren’t in and of themselves dangerous (except for the status quo and people in power.)
Critical thinking REQUIRES examining a belief before rejecting it or taking it on.
I think people have a tendency to overreact when presented with ideas that make them uncomfortable.
I know I do.
I just wish fear wasn’t leveraged against minority positions.
If you need an example, look into the pastors who condemned Rob Bell when he published a book about the existence of hell.
Get 👏🏻 over 👏🏻 your 👏🏻 selves 👏🏻
Random Facts About Me
- My personal style combines Taylor Swift’s Reputation and Lover eras. Think all-black outfits with sparkly accessories and pastel nail polish.
- Despite hating institutional sexism, uniforms, hierarchy, arbitrary rules, and following orders, I STILL considered joining the Marines.
- I am S U P E R competitive and V E R Y persuasive. I am a champion Cards Against Humanity player.
- I have FINALLY succumbed and started calling myself an ambivert. I would love to work from home…but I would miss office gossip, inside jokes, and free lunch.
- I DESPISE misplaced optimism. Positivity alone does not solve problems. An individual at my workplace keeps writing off legitimate issues with, “Stay positive!” so nothing gets done.
I don’t want EXCUSES. I want RESULTS.
- I just found out astrology soap and astrology candles exist. YOU BETTER BELIEVE I BOUGHT ONE OF EACH. My sun sign smells like bergamot and my moon sign smells like violets.
- Everyone is either a knitter or a crocheter. I am forever Team Knit.
- In elementary school, I dreamed of becoming a mage like the girls in Avalon: Web of Magic. I never grew out of that fantasy.
- I wear more jewelry than others expect.
- I keep my love of manga on the DL because
a. people have judged me for only liking shoujou.
b. voicing my interest tends to attract anime guys, who (in my experience) tend to gatekeep and condescend.
c. I refuse to read/watch/talk about/listen to lectures on Death Note ever again.
- I’m crushing on Bill Hader in It: Chapter Two. Like…HOW IS HE SO HOT? IT’S OUT OF CONTROL.
Questions for you
- List your favorite book genre and your favorite film genre. How do they compare?
- What would you wear if you thought you could pull it off?
- Do you have a favorite spOoOoOky podcast? If so, what is it?
- Surprise! You’re a mage! Just like the girls in Avalon: Web of Magic! (Just go with it.) What kind of mage would you like to be?
a. Healer, aventurine jewel, magical ferret pal 🐱
b. Warrior, tiger’s eye jewel, mistwolf sidekick 🐺
c. Blazing Star, sparkly unicorn jewel, flying leopard friend 🐆
- Work just promised free lunch on Friday! What kind of food do you hope they serve?
- Congratulations. You are now the protagonist of a novel. Describe in detail the personality of your nemesis, rival, or best friend.
- What is your favorite scent? What does that scent do for you?
- For TV watchers: do you prefer long seasons with short episodes or short seasons with longer episodes?
- What color do you like to see on book covers?
- Good books have beautiful writing, memorable characters, and a compelling plot. Which one can you live without?
- Compare and contrast the best book you ever read with the worst book you ever read.
UponthePages | Meghan’s Whimsical Explorations & Reviews | Book Reviews From a Novel Nerd | The Bookish Puff | Thoughts on Papyrus | Perpetually Past Due | Amel’z on web | A Little Nerd to Me | The Comfy Reader | Bookwyrm Bites | Not-so-modern Girl